Aug 21, 2018
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
About Campaign for School Equity
Campaign for School Equity is a leading non-profit, education advocacy organization that aims to ensure that all children, especially those of color, have access to high-quality choices, by uniting communities of students, parents and clergy to raise their voices to create effective change.
The Senior Development Associate Position
The Senior Development Associate (SDA) will create and help execute research-based, customized strategies to build support among various local, national, corporate and individual donors as well as manage the operational aspects of CSE’s development strategy. The SDA will, among other activities, use platforms to monitor and update fundraising proposals, research prospective donors, manage and maintain CRM systems, prepare the Executive Director for meetings and other interactions with prospective donors, manage the donor engagement calendar, draft grant proposals, reports, and updates, and develop and maintain tailored materials such as pitch decks.
Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director (ED), this position involves advancing CSE’s mission in Memphis by strengthening our overall development strategy. To that end, specific responsibilities include:
• Strategize with ED to develop funding strategies for projects and programs, and identify potential supporters
• Identify and research high-value donors, such as foundations, governmental agencies, corporate agencies, trusts and supporters leaving a legacy, as potential funding sources
• Draft, compile, prepare, and submit grant proposals on behalf of CSE, with ED approval
• Manage follow-up reporting and ensure fulfillment of any additional giving requirements
• Identify, research, and qualify major gift prospects. Provide concrete recommendations to ED on prospect strategy and priorities
• Maintain up to date information files
• Plan and organize regular meetings with the ED to assign prospects, monitor timely movement through the pipeline, and develop and enhance strategy to convert prospects to donors.
• Draft briefing materials for prospect donor calls and meetings
• Contribute to the planning and implementation of overall development goals, strategies, and activities relating to the identification, research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of prospects, and individual, foundation, and corporate donors.
The ideal candidate would have 3-5 years of relevant fundraising and marketing experience, including managing volunteers and subordinates. In addition, the candidate must be highly organized and have exceptional project management skills. He/she should be a self-starter and able to meet deadlines with little supervision and oversight. This role requires an in-depth knowledge and passion for the Memphis education landscape and education reform. The candidate must demonstrate strong writing, research, problem solving, and analytical skills. Finally, the candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills and exhibit the ability to cultivate relationships with donors and donor representatives. The candidate must possess a valid state driver’s license. Other qualifications include:
• BA (required), MA (a plus)
• Two to four years of experience in grant writing, corporate solicitation, development and stewarding relationships
• Read, analyze, and interpret basic data, financial reports, and legal documents
• Experience in not-for-profit and/or education environment
• Write grant applications and letters that conform to prescribed style and format
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are generally Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Please send a cover letter and resume outlining your skills and experience for the Development Associate position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed. Campaign for School Equity is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.